Sunday, April 12, 2015

Philadelphia

August 28th, 2014

It's happening! It's happening! The moment I have been waiting for since I got my call! I am going to Philadelphia today!!!!! Wahoo! Seeing the sights and more importantly eating the food. 

This week was crazy! It was lovely Sister Earl's last week as a missionary. We drove her up to the mission home on Thursday after District Meeting so she could go to the Washington D.C. temple ( as all the departing missionaries do) before she went  home. During the day on Friday we went on an exchange to West Philadelphia (born and raised) and did some serious street contacting :) It was with Sister Hyatt and Sister Ricks who are serving there. They let Sister simmons and I loose in West Philly. I miss being in the city! Milford, Where I am serving now, is way way way out in the sticks. To help you visualize my area this Sunday on the way to church we passed a skunk, turtle, frog, huge branch in the middle of the road, 20 geese/chickens/roosters, gravel road, and 5 or 6 corn fields. Let me tell you though, this fall is going to blow my mind with how beautiful it is. Expect pictures. We went to the park in W. Philly and talked to so many people. It was so cool to just follow the spirit and open my mouth to talk to everyone.

Then we had to take Sister Earl back to Broomall again this morning to drop her off. They take the departing missionaries to Philly today and then they depart tomorrow morning. She is fantastic and it was so hard to say goodbye this morning. I am going to miss her a lot. We are getting another companion on Tuesday! The trio continues!

The rest of the week was amazing too! On Tuesday we taught a 16 year old girl named Emily who is a daughter of a less active in our ward, Brother Clements. We taught her the restoration and Sister Earl (her last one) invited Emily to be baptized after showing her the Come Unto Christ music video youth theme for this year. She said yes and started crying/laughing because she felt the spirit so strong. October 12!! I cannot wait to help her prepare for baptism. 

This Sunday we invited everyone to church and emphasized the added bonus of Sister Earl speaking. Ray Crawford(non member) is the husband of Sister Crawford(active member) came too! We serve in their yard every Saturday, then eat lunch and share a message. They love having us over and Sister Crawford said he is really changing. His heart is softening and he actually came to church. I will never forget the feeling when he walked into the chapel doors. I love being a missionary!

Another one of our investigators named Kerry came to church as well and we were able to teach him from 3 Nephi 18 the day prior. It was the perfect chapter to read with him. It talks about the importance of church and building yourself upon a firm foundation of Jesus Christ. The next day in church one of the speakers spoke about firm foundations! coincidence? I think not!

On the exchange on Friday I learned so much. One thing I picked up was the questions "Is there light in it?". We taught a recent convert about entertainment and media from the For Strength Of Youth Pamphlet and that was a question the other Sisters asked. I absolutely love this question. There is such a difference between media that really lifts us up, encourages us to be better, and be nicer. Then there is media that causes us to be negative, harsh, mean, prideful, and boastful. Which one will make you happier and influence you to do good? That's because it's of God. 

I love this gospel and I have been so grateful for the opportunity I have been given to serve a mission. I don't know how I lived before without this experience. I have learned so many things... now I just have to apply them. 
Philly time!!

Love,

Sister Zeller

No comments:

Post a Comment