Sunday, April 12, 2015

Abide with me... or not.

March 23, 2015

Hello everyone,

This week seemed like a break down week for a lot of people we work with. Everyone was cracking under family, church, work, and social pressures. It has been a draining week but those are always the most rewarding. 

There were three ladies in particular that we had these experiences with. One has been confined to her home for 6 months because of an unhealing wound, another was a new member of the church, and the last was a very distressed grandmother.  In these I am so grateful for the spirit, my testimony, and especially the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 

This quote from Elder Maxwell said it so perfectly.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell: “Christ’s victory over death ended the human predicament. Now there are onlypersonal predicaments, and from these too we may be rescued by following the teachings of him who rescued us from general extinction.”

Christ is the reason for our hope. Oftentimes I have heard people say on my mission that there is a light in our countenance. I believe it is because we have hope for a better tomorrow, that our wounds both spiritual and physical can be healed, that we can overcome any obstacle, and that no matter what we do we will always be cherished by our Heavenly Father. Because of this hope it leads us to act in faith: obedience to the commandments, service, church attendance, prayer, scripture study, etc. Then by personal experience and answers to our prayers we come to know that God really is there and because of Christ so many things are possible. 
I love my mission!

Yesterday Sister Barnum and I sang Abide with Me in sacrament meeting. Before the meeting the mission President and his wife surprised us by showing up. I swear everyone in the chapel could hear my heart beating. What is even more nerve racking is that we were singing it acapella. Afterwords everyone (of course because this ward is way too nice) said it was so beautiful. My companion said it best when she said "they may have felt the spirit, but we didn't!"( because we were so nervous). She also said " they would have come up and said how beautiful it was If we were both tone deaf.". I concur. I was waiting for Simon Cowell to pop out and say " that was terrible!" 
Haha just kidding. It really wasn't that bad... I hope. 

We haven't found any new investigators. It seems no one in this area is interested. I know that's not true. We just have to keep looking. Where is your hope Sister Zeller!?

This week really was a great week. We got to get to know members of the ward better, meet with less actives we haven't been able to meet with before, fed every single night ( it's like they are all trying to make sure I roll off the airplane), the cultural night in April is coming together. 

One miracle I would like to share! We are teaching a little Japanese lady English. Her American name is Amy. We invited her to present for Japan at the cultural night and she said no.... At first. Then we said we could find a interpreter and she said yes! It's a miracle! She has said no to every event we have invited her to. She is so tiny and adorable! I just want to learn Japanese! 

Have a great week everyone! 
Love, 
Sister Zeller

No comments:

Post a Comment